lovely picture

Friday, April 25, 2014

A Letter to My Self


I was stumbled upon this beautiful letter from Mom few years ago. I dont know why, this somehow made my tears burst. Not that I didnt make that dream come true. It's just because I feel that people around me understand me much more than my ownself. Oh dear.. Then, I have to always tell my self about believing on my self. I miss you Mom. I miss you.

It is a great honor and thrill for me to write a letter on behalf of Isna Nur Masyithoh.

Length of time known Isna
My daughter Liliana and I have had the privilege of knowing Isna  for over 2 years.  In the 2 year span I have known Isna  her strong rapport and relationships with people, intelligence, sense of humor, leadership,  and gift of music all culminate into pursuing her dream of becoming an educated young woman.
·         Nature of relationship
I first met Isna when she was in high school as an AFS student.  She lived with my daughter and I as an AFS daughter and sister for the 2009-2010 school year.   
·         Positive personality characteristics
Isna is the kind of person that everyone can be around.  Her sense of humor, caring and thoughtful nature, her involvement in the community she lives in,  and devotion to personal relationships all encompass the incredible gifts Isna  will share in any college or university setting.
Isna is a very centered person who is able to enjoy life’s fortunes and creatively address its challenges.  Isna has a passion for life and the core of this passion is demonstrated in her faith and the relationships she fosters with her tremendous people skills. Her faith as a young Muslim Woman is the core of who she is. She integrates her faith  into her daily life, her relationships with family, friends, and in any community she is involved in.
·         Negative attributes of Mother (if applicable)
I had great difficulty identifying any significant weakness in Isna.    I believe that Isna's  in-depth experience between her home country of Indonesia and her year living abroad in the United States have all provided her with more real life training than most college applicants have ever received. 
Isna's experience with international travel as well as her commitments to her education have all prepared her for a variety of social, emotional and intellectual issues that may come her way.
Isna has made sure that her support network is solidly in place by maintaining close relationships with people who will help her.   Isna knows how to budget her money and is fiscally responsible - which is an important trait when living abroad in a foreign country. 
Positive attributes Isna's passion for life, relationships with others, her ability to make good, sound decisions all embody who she is and will become as she enters the higher education arena.
·         Understanding of different culture
Isna embraces diversity.  She is resourceful, is sensitive, culturally aware, and will make every attempt to become involved with all students coming from a variety of backgrounds.


Additional Thoughts;
Isna was given the Busy Bee award because of her interest and commitment in so many arenas while she was attending Walla Walla High School here in Walla Walla WA.
She participated in the ensemble choir, drama club, international club, and coordinated many social events for fellow AFS students as well as her many friends at the highschool.  In addition, Isna performed  in the highschool talent show, the fundraiser for cancer research, and all with grace, style, and determination like I had never seen before.
Isna's enthusiasm for music, theater, literature, and the dream of receiving a four year degree will be an incredible gift to any college or university campus community.  In addition, her love of learning, academic and rigorous commitment to excellence, strong sense of community, commitment to her family, and desire to build strong, life long relationships with her peers, professors, and people of all ages in her community all makes Isna the perfect candidate for any collegiate setting.




Laura Reiter-Isna's  AFS host parent during the 2009-2010 school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment