lovely picture

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Muslim Child

by Rukhsana Khan

Muslim Child
child of peace,
child of war,
from a far-off distant shore,
what do your black eyes see?

My eyes are not only black.
Sometimes they are blue as the sky
or green as the tropical sea
or brown as the trunk of the palm tree
and every shade in between.

My skin can be black as molasses*
or as pink as the blush on a rose,
as golden as freshly made honey
or dark copper brown as penny
and every shade in between.

I am the richest of the rich
and the poorest of the poor;
as famous as famous can be;
a general's child, pampered bored;
a soldier's child, orphaned by war;
and every rank in between.

I come from many countries,
speaking many languages,
but with one set of beliefs.
**I believe in Noah and Jesus and Abraham,
Muhammad and Moses and in God who sent them
and in every messenger in beween.
(God bless them)

So then,
Muslim Child,
child of peace,
what do your bright eyes see?

I see that we're each a piece in
the puzzle of humanity.
I'll try to understand you
if you try to understand me.
***


*molasses: a thick black sweet sticky liquid produced when sugar is refined (= made pure), used in cooking
**Aku percaya pd Nuh dan Isa dan Ibrahim

No comments:

Post a Comment